Friday, February 24, 2017

February 21st through the 24th



Keenoy Koala News                                         2-24-17 

     We are moving right along with our year!  It is so hard for me to believe that March is so quickly approaching.  My son Caleb has his first soccer tournament this weekend.  We love taking the family to his games and the kids are looking forward to soccer season starting back up.  This sport keeps our weekends VERY busy in the spring. 

     It was great meeting with everyone at conferences.  I loved having the opportunity to share your child’s accomplishments and hard work.  I am confident that they will continue working hard during our last trimester of elementary school.  The last third of the year goes by quickly and is an extremely busy time of year for 5th graders.  Thank you for your continued support and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Koala of the Week: Evan Groman
My name is Evan and I love my family.  I have six people in my family.  My mom (Kimberly), mama (Jen), dad (Thom), Makenzie (sister), Jersey (sister), and Kyler (brother).  In my free time I like to build forts outside with the kids in my neighborhood.  I also love to read Harry Potter books and watching the movies.  My favorite book/movie from the series is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. 










Math
Students took an assessment over topic 10 on Wednesday.  These are graded and should be included in your child’s Friday folder.

For the next couple of weeks, students will be learning how to…….
     * multiply a fraction by a whole number.
     * find the product of two fractions.
     * multiply mixed numbers.

Writing
I enjoyed teaching Non-Fiction writing, but I think that it is safe to say that both students and I are excited about the change in genre.  Students will be taking a post-assessment for Non-Fiction writing next week.  Students will learn information about Harriet Tubman (two articles and one video).  Their job will be to organize this information by planning and writing a five paragraph essay.  I am confident that students will be able to apply the non-fiction writing strategies learned during this unit.

Our new writing unit revolves around research based argumentative essays.  I view this as editorial writing, with a little bit more emphasis on research based arguments.  The process that we will be following includes: 
     *researching the topic by reading/viewing trusted sources.
     * listing the pros and cons for each side of the argument.
     *creating a thesis statement and turning that into a terrific beginning
     *using a plan sheet to organize our thinking and arguments
     *drafting these ideas

Word Study
Our focus during the last two weeks has been on words with similar ending sounds (er, ar, and ure).  Students took a test on Thursday over their 10 spelling works. Look for these graded tests in your child’s Friday folder.

This week we will be focusing on words that have a silent consonant and become sounded consonants.  Examples of these words include: muscle, muscular, design, designate, moisten, moist.

Reading
Students really seem to enjoy the start of our new read aloud book called Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt.  I have modeled and shared several main idea lessons during the last couple of weeks.  This week we continued using these strategies to improve comprehension, but I also introduced cause/effect relationships within the story.  I will continue meeting with individuals and small groups to support these skills.

Social Studies
We completed chapter 7 (Pre-Revolutionary War Events) on Thursday.  Students seem highly engaged during lessons, videos, and discussions.  I’ve provided students with a variety of sources to help build background/reinforce main ideas.  Next week we will start diving into the key details of the Revolutionary War.

Science
A couple of scheduling changes this week caused our new Matter Unit to be moved to next week.  This is a lengthy unit that is filled with fun activities and exploration.  Below, I have listed the science standards that we will cover during this unit.

* Develop a model to describe that matter is made of particles too small to be seen.
* Measure and graph quantities to provide evidence that regardless of the type of change that occurs when heating, cooling, or mixing substances, the total weight of matter is conserved.
* Make observations and measurements to identify materials based on their properties.
* Conduct an investigation to determine whether the mixing of two or more substances results in new substances.


Sincerely,

                                                                                                            Dan Keenoy

Buddy Classroom Activity!  Valentine's Day Fun!












No comments:

Post a Comment