Friday, December 16, 2016

December 12th Through the 16th

Keenoy Koala of the Week:  Hailey Homann



Hello, my name is Hailey and I am the Koala of the week.  I have three other people in my family (besides me).  They are my mom, dad, and younger sister.  Some of my favorite things to do are to read, draw, and play piano.  My favorite thing to read is Harry Potter and I recently finished the series.  I also go to dance class every Monday night.  I am looking forward to the Holiday Break in the next couple of days.

Keenoy Koala News


One of the Koalas surprised me with an early present!  Fun!

Dear Families,

I cannot believe that our Winter Break is already here, and we are nearing the midway point of 5th grade.  I am looking forward to spending the extra time with family and wish everyone a wonderful break!  This will be my last newsletter until after the New Year.

700 Keenoy Cash Celebration
Our class earned their 700th card this week and met their latest goal.  Gabby is so excited to come to school and watch a movie with her daddy and the Koalas.  I’m happy that they want to spend time with my daughter and we will enjoy another picnic style lunch/movie in the next week or so.  I have to work out the logistics with our daycare provider and find a copy of the movie before setting a firm date.  As soon as I know, I will pass that information along at least one day prior.  They class wants to watch the movie, The Watson’s Go to Birmingham-1963.  I thought that was a great idea and we will be finishing up with that read aloud in the next couple of days.
What a Great  Idea and Class!

Math - Variables & Expressions
*  We continued working on order of operations. When numbers with decimals were added to the problems, many students needed a refresher on how to add, subtract, and multiply with decimals.
*  Students  will take an assessment over this topic on Monday.
*  After winter break, students will be spending a great deal of time with fractions.

 Writing – Paragraphing and Charities
Students practiced organizing unorganized paragraphs this week.  They are also improving with their paragraph planning. 

This week students learned more about various charities for their informational writing reports. Students will chose a charity to research once we return from winter break.

Reading – Main Idea and Theme
*   I am happy with the progress that students are making with identifying main ideas and themes.  We have had many great conversations and students are showing understanding my supporting ideas from the text. 
*   Students took an assessment over inferring, context clues, and predicting today.  These will be scored and returned after break.

Science – Experimental Design
Thank you for participating in our research activity during our Holiday Open House.  I was SO happy to share that the small group adult research average was better than the 5th graders.  They seemed pretty confident that they would have faster reflexes than the adults.  Oh how I love a good/friendly competition. 

We calculated the average of the three trials for each person.  We then took 15 people’s average from each group and calculated those averages. Results included: 
2nd grader average= 46 cm
5th grader average = 23 cm
Adult average = 18 cm!!!

We concluded that as you get older, your reflexes improve.  Students do think that when you reach a certain age, your reflexes may start getting slower again.  I had a lot of fun with this activity and I love how our research ideas improved along the way.

Important Dates:

Dec. 20            Winter party at 2:15
Dec. 21-Jan. 3 Winter Break
Jan. 4               School Resumes
Jan. 16             Martin Luther King, Jr. Day-No School


Have a wonderful Break!

                                                                                                Sincerely,
                                                                                                Dan Keenoy



No comments:

Post a Comment